Social Links Menu

George Miller MotM

Frome Town 1-3 Chesham United

After taking the lead in the 21st through Jon Davies, a 25 yard screamer from Danny Green in the 40th made it honours even at half time, but Chesham were the better side in the second half and goals from Green and Lewis Toomey gave them a deserved 3-1 victory.

Surprisingly, the pitch had recovered well from the mud bath of last Saturday, and Frome were keen to see if they could record a victory over 5th placed Chesham as their home record shows more losses than wins this season.

With Mitchell Page and Joe Raynes suspended, Ryan Bath started at number 9 with recent signing Ollie Knowles taking the number 10 shirt. Sam Teale was included on the bench after suspension.

As last week, Frome were quickly out of the blocks with George Miller flashing a shot across the face of goal in the 2nd and after continuous pressure, Hafed Al-Droubi made his first save of the match in the 7th to deny Bath at the far post.

Chesham came into the match in the 11th as Toomey shot easily into the midriff of Kyle Phillips after finding a way through the defence, and after two Chesham shots had been charged down in the 13th, Jefferson Louis shot well wide from a good position.

Frome went close in the 17th as a curling Jon Davies free kick found George Miller in space, but the midfielder almost seemed surprised at the arrival of the ball and shot over, but then they did take the lead in the 21st as Bath did well to hold the ball and pull defenders in before finding a perfect through ball into the path of Davies who advanced fifteen yards and shot past Al-Droubi with ease.

A couple of good runs from Darren Jefferies led to some good approach play but Frome were struggling to turn the pressure into goals with the final ball always seeming to go astray and allowing the Chesham defence an easy clearance, but Frome were making all the running at this stage and looking good.

A little against the run of play, Chesham equalised in the 40th as left back Danny Green twisted and turned to carve out a shooting opportunity 25 yards out, and the resulting shot was a perfect example of how to hit a ball so that it curled unerringly into the far top corner giving Phillips no chance.

Chesham were much more lively at the start of the second half and started to dominate possession and run at the Frome defence, and they took the lead in the 58th as a surging run into the Frome box saw Phillips make two good low saves, but each time the ball rebounded out, eventually falling to Green who slotted home from close range with ease for his second of the match.

As the match progressed, Frome were struggling to make anything happen and too often they lost possession easily allowing Chesham to come straight back at them, but two substitutions in the 68th seemed to liven things up but still the chances failed to come.

After Chesham had shot into the side netting in the 81st, they sealed the match two minutes later as a move on the right led to substitute David Hutton turning and shooting, but Phillips was only able to push the ball away and Toomey pounced at the far post to score from close range with ease.

Frome’s only real chance of the second half came in the 90th as a Chas Hemmings set up Ollie Knight for a shot, only to see Al-Droubi pull off a very good save to push the ball round the post and with George Miller just missing the corner, Frome’s chances of a late goal disappeared.

Frome’s captain George Miller was awarded the H&B Tyres Man of the Match Award by match sponsor John Scott of John Scott Construction Ltd.

Comments are closed.