Social Links Menu


Frome Town 1 Farnborough 1

With both sides struggling to field a side and little to play for, Frome had the better of the first half, but Farnborough probably shaded it in the second half, and at the end a 1-1 draw was probably a fair result.
Following the departure of Jon Davies, Kyle Phillips and manager Josh Jeffries and with Marcus Mapstone injured, Ollie Knight and Kris MIller suspended and George Miller unavailable, once again Frome just about managed to put out a team, but with just Sam Teale and Harry Barnes on the bench, it was touch and go. However, conversations with Farnborough fans indicated that they were in a similar position, but neither side had anything really to play for and on a sunny day, maybe we’d see a classic?

Frome started the match well with players presumably having been told to trust their talent and to have a go, and after 20 seconds, Joe Raynes curled a shoy just past the far post, and with Carl Crabtree getting a couple of easy saves early on to get a feel for the ball, the game was getting going, and Frome went close in the 5th as Ben Griffiths hit a good right wing cross that met the head of the diving Ryan Bath but the ball shaved the far post.

The match then alternated as both sides attacked, but Frome again went close in the 13th as Griffiths again hit a searching cross that just evaded the head of Page, and with Connor Roberts volleying over follwoing a corner, the crowd were starting to get behind the side.

After Page had had a shot tipped round the post in the 22nd, Frome took the lead in the 24th as Ollie Knowles dinked a through ball to Ryan Bath who controlled with his left and hit a peach of a right foot shot into the top corner from just inside the box, a 1-0 lead that they fully deserved at this stage.

However, despite a good Raynes cross just too high for the head of Page and an effort by Darren Jefferies that brought a save from Aaron Bufton, the score remained 1-0 at half time.

Farnborough looked to have a bit more of the game at the start of the second half, and Frome were unsetlled a bit when Chas Hemmings hobbled off holding his back in the 55th, and Farnborough duly scored in the 67th as they broke from a Frome corner, retained possession and the ball was then played out to Connor Calcutt who shot under the body of Carl Crabtree from just inside the penalty area.

Frome did have a couple of chances to take the lead but the chance never seemed to fall cleanly, and with players starting to pick up yellow cards for niggly fouls, there was the suspicion that the game was starting to slide away from the referee a little, and shortly after Crabtree had saved a shot with his foot, it all kicked off as players started taking the law into their own hands, ending with a mass melee that saw four yellow cards issued, including a second and thus a red for Page. Words fail me sometimes …..

Eventually order was restored, and with around ten minutes of extra time, Farnborough looked the more likely to snatch the winner with their extra man, but Roberts was up to the task and eventually the home fans were happy to hear the final whistle.

Ryan Bath was chosen for the H&B Tyres Man of the Match Award.

Comments are closed.